On World Cancer Day Holland America Line Launches 'On Deck for a Cause' Shipboard Fundraising Program Supporting Six International Cancer Organisations

| Holland America Line
Share this page

New walk on 500 cruises annually to raise money for the global fight against cancer
 
Sydney, Australia 4 February 2013 In honour of World Cancer Day, today Holland America Line announces “On Deck for a Cause,” a new shipboard giving program that will benefit six international cancer organisations located in the United States, Canada, Australia, Netherlands, Germany and United Kingdom. 
 
On Deck for a Cause invites guests to participate in a non-competitive 5k fundraising walk on every sailing aboard each of the line’s 15 ships, with proceeds to be distributed among the American Cancer Society, Canadian Cancer Society, Cancer Council Australia, Cancer Research UK, Deutsche Krebshilfe (German Cancer Aid) and KWF Kankerbestrijding Dutch Cancer Society. The program will be implemented on ships in the coming month.
 
“With this program Holland America Line supports the global fight against cancer,” said Richard Meadows, executive vice president, marketing, sales and guest programs for Holland America Line.  “Giving back is part of the Holland America Line culture, and it’s gratifying to be able to support these incredible organisations in six countries where the majority of our guests live. This new program will help raise significant funds for cancer research, education, screening and treatment programs.”
 
Guests of all ages are invited to donate US$20 to the Holland America Line Foundation, with a minimum of 80 percent (US$16) to be distributed to the organisations. The remaining 20 percent will cover program and administrative expenses. On a day at sea, participants are invited to join in a 5k walk around the ship’s decks. Guests may walk less or not at all, as they prefer. Participants will also receive an On Deck for a Cause T-shirt, wristband and a reception following the walk. Depending on the ship, the distance to reach 5k ranges from nine to 12 laps.
 
“I am delighted that Holland America Line has generously chosen Cancer Council as a charity of choice,” Regina Sutton, Chief Executive Officer of Cancer Council NSW said.
 
“One in two Australians will face cancer in their lifetime and funds raised from On Deck for a Cause will directly enable Cancer Council to provide vital research, prevention programs, and support services to the tens of thousands of Australians affected by this disease each year.”
 
Nearly 500 On Deck for a Cause events will occur across the Holland America Line fleet in the coming year, with walks taking place on cruises globally including the Mediterranean, Caribbean, South Pacific, Alaska’s Inside Passage, Mexico, Asia, the Baltic, Australia, New Zealand, South America and even Antarctica.
 
Holland America Line and its corporate foundation’s charitable giving programs include cash sponsorships; in-kind donations and shipboard events; free and reduced-fare cruise donations for nonprofit fundraising events; donations of usable shipboard items around the world; employee volunteerism; and other philanthropic activities.
 
For a cruise brochure or for more information on Holland America Line’s voyages, consult a travel professional or call Holland America Line at 1300 987 322 or visit www.hollandamerica.com.au

Find Holland America Line on Twitter, Facebook and the Holland America Blog.  Access all social media outlets via the Online Communities quick link on the home page at www.hollandamerica.com.au

Articles